Sunday afternoon - Three to four hours in a solo kayak from Laurier to Capilano Park. Drift past the downtown skyline, the Convention Center and city parks.
Paddle your kayak through downtown Edmonton
Every Sunday afternoon from middle of May to end of September we have a trip through the river valley past the university and the downtown highrises. This is a wonderful afternoon outdoor activity on summer weekends. There is so much to see, nine bridges to negotiate, meet the Dragonboats and wave to the Edmonton Queen while you drift by in your kayak.
Paddle 3 to 4 hours down the North Saskatchewan River from Sir Wilfrid Laurier Park to Capilano Park - At 1:00 pm we meet in Capilano Park at the foot of 50th Street on the south side of the river. Leave your car in the paved parking lot to the left of the the boat ramp access. Then you board our bus for the 30 minute drive to Laurier and launch your solo kayak for the journey down river at your own leisure.
You should be back at your car in Capilano Park between 5:00 and 6:00 pm.
- Capilano Park
- 12:50 pm meet at Capilano Park
- 1:00 - 1:30 shuttle to Sir Wilfrid Laurier Park
- 1:45 depart down the river
- ca. 6:00 pm arrival at Capilano Park
Equipment participants may want to bring:
- light shoes or sandals for in the canoe
- extra shoes (dry) for the ride home
- Fleece jacket or wool sweater
- wind and/or rain jacket and pants, hat
- sunscreen, insect repellent
- swim suit, towel
- camera, binoculars
- cell phone
- lunch, water & other beverages
- garbage bags
- toilet paper